Wednesday, June 21, 2006

35th Wedding Anniversary + Trip

I am in the midst of Preaching a series on 'Desperate Households.' It has been great and well received. One sermon was for couples entitled 'My lover, My friend.' It was from Song of Solomon 5:16:

His mouth is sweetness itself; he is altogether lovely. This is my lover, this my friend, O daughters of Jerusalem. NIV

I have planning this trip to St. Thomas for over a year now and it was a surprise to Debi. Booked the airlines, the fabulous condo (which she still knows nothing about), the red convertible, day excursions via boat around the other islands, moonlight cruise with dinner.... Why? Debi is my Best Friend!

Outside of knowing God intimately, marriage is the highest level of relationship created by God- higher than even mother/child, and all others- so friendship ought to reach it's very zenith in the context of the marriage relationship.

What develops that best friend relationship in marriage? From Song of Solomon:

His mouth is sweetness- speaking kindness to one another and not allowing trash talking in the marriage.

He is altogether lovely- giving extravagant praise privately and publicly.

This is my lover- being faithful and intimate only with your spouse- and maintaining and sustaining a great sex life.

This is my friend- understanding the gift that God has given you and allowing no other to be what He intended your spouse to be.

I know of people who have violated these principles and although they may remain married they are not best friends but just roommates. They would rather spend the most enjoyable moments of their lives in the company of someone else than with their spouse!

Debi, thanks for being my best friend and being proactive in our marriage over the years. Happy 35th Wedding Anniversary!

You are my island girl, the woman of my dreams!

ps- I will not be blogging while in St. Thomas- other things to do- ;>)

No comments: