Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Reflections on the Call to Pastor- part 3

I enjoy what I do- I thank God for the opportunity to serve Him and His people day after day! To be a Pastor, this is it!

It is interesting to me that God spent more time describing the qualifications for a Pastor than He did with all the other five fold ministry gifts. The qualifications for a Pastor listed in I Timothy chapter 3 are more than about moral issues. You will find that these qualifications describe a man who is able to see the various challenges of life, who knows how to live life and serve Christ while keeping things in balance, avoiding the pitfalls of life, so that he and God's sheep can finish this life having run their race, having finished their course, and having kept the faith.

Here's what these qualifications mean to me:

-blameless (no legitimate accusations against him),
-husband of one wife (knows how to build long-term stable
relationships),
-vigilant (on the ball, not easily bamboozled),
-sober (lives in the real world, faces facts straight-on),
-of good behavior (conducts himself appropriately in all situations),
-given to hospitality (loves blessing and fellowshipping with others),
-apt to teach (not always preach),
-not given to wine (sees the dangers of things that intoxicate and partakes of them moderately, within Scriptural bounds, or not at all),
-no striker (not a bully),
-not greedy of filthy lucre (isn't running a shake-down operation);
-but patient (people make a lot of mistakes, and take a long time to learn from them),
-not a brawler (doesn't walk all over others to get what he wants),
-not covetous (isn't trying to pocket everything the sheep have);
-one that rules well his own house (his first church),
-not a novice (must have wisdom and maturity),
-having a good report of them which are without (respected by all).

I think it speaks volumes that God did not entrust the governing of the local church to healing evangelists, gifted prophets, teachers of doctrine, or missions-minded apostles. All these individuals are needed, and all that they contribute are of great value, but God appointed the Pastor to govern along with similarly called elders. Why?

Because the Pastor's strength is balance and stability.

The congregation needs occasional doses of the fire of an evangelist. But if they have a steady diet of fire at every single spiritual meal, they'll burn up.

Christians need the inspiration of the prophet, speaking under a sudden inspiration of the Spirit. But if all they have is prophecy, prophecy, prophecy, without the solid grounding of the teaching of God's Word, the group will eventually get off into error.

The sheep need to be taught sound doctrine. But if all they hear is doctrine, doctrine, doctrine, they will eventually evolve into Phariseeical experts on the jots and tittles of the law, but useless and destitute, as Christ said, of the weightier matters of judgement, mercy, and faith.

God created the evangelist to fire us up for souls, the prophet to inspire us of heavenly things, the teacher to ground us in sound doctrine, and the Apostle to focus our ultimate aim on reaching foreign lands.

And God set the pastor and elders over the congregation to oversee these ministries, keep the portions of these spiritual feedings balanced out so that the congregation does not go off the deep end.

I am convinced that God knew what He was doing when He created the five-fold ministry system. I think He has invested much more anointing and purpose in the Pastor's office than we have comprehended up to this time!

What do you think!

7 comments:

hunt4christ said...

I have found that over time I come to appreiciate watching you trying to jugle the different offices of the five fold ministry. I have learned that being a pastor does not make you a preacher, but I have learned contentment in what he has called me and my family to and I feel like that is to be among the people to care for them and to lead by relationship rather manipulation. We are still inspired by the work that you do, and remember we are watching and learning. love ya,

Anonymous said...

I am VERY THANKFUL that you answered the call!! You are the BEST!!

Anonymous said...

I can testify that what you preach is what you live. The wisdom God gives you on a daily basis to do the work He has called you to is truly amazing. Thank you for being faithful to the Lord and His calling on you to pastor. Truly you are my pastor as well as my husband and best friend.
Your bride

Dawn Irons, Ph.D, LPC-S said...

I agree with Brooke. I am so thankful you answered the call!

I was a bit suprised by some of the comments on my blog about the "staffless church"...some seem to think it is a good idea.

I stand by my original statement that it would be a SAD day at The Vine Fellowship if our pastoral staff did not show up!

I am ever so grateful that you answered the call and that you are willing to wear than mantle of PASTOR...now may we as your congregation live up to our end of the deal and not complain so much that you grow to hate your job!

I know you love the sheep deeply...but have you ever daydreamed about kicking or thumping one of them every now and then??

You dont have to answer that publically!


You are a good man, David Kerr!!

Dawn

Anonymous said...

Hi David - Just discovered your blog and it's been fun to read this and some of your earlier reflections. (The post-charismatic piece was especially interesting - I think I am post/post charismatic!) The call to Pastor is as compelling and rewarding to me now as it was 26 years ago, when I started this journey. Through changing circumstances mixed with joy and frustration, my love for churches and for the diversity of God's people grows and deepens. By the way, I also love the youtube clip with the desperate coffee-drinker. That is hilarious! Thanks for creating the blog. I'll recommend it to friends....

David said...

Joe, great to hear from you- can identify with you- let others of like spirit know-

Steve Bowen said...

more than well said...i'm passing this one on...have a great 35th!
see this weeks time mag last article on rest...
s