Friday, July 28, 2006

The 'Missables' in Church

There is a sad fact of church life, there are people who can be gone for a while and no one realizes it.

One pastor was confronted by a member who had been out for several weeks and not received a visit from the pastor.

"How do you explain this?" The man said angrily!

"I don't know." replied the pastor. "I can't explain why your participation in this church is so low or non-existent that you can be gone for weeks at a time and not be missed by anyone. Have you seen our volunteer sign up list?"

It amazes me that someone would consider it someone else's responsibility to make sure they are at church. Barring illness, which means they should call for the elders of the church for prayer, no one has an excuse for why they miss church nor can blame anyone else but themselves.

Church attendance is important enough for there to be scriptures relating to the matter:
Heb 10:24-25 In response to all he has done for us, let us outdo each other in being helpful and kind to each other and in doing good. Let us not neglect our church meetings, as some people do, but encourage and warn each other, especially now that the day of his coming back again is drawing near. (TLB)
There are immense benefits from meeting together. I stress to our saints that our gathering together each time is like a family reunion. It is a time of rejoicing, encouraging one another, and loving on each other. It is a time for the Word of God to be preached in a relevant, life changing and encouraging way. It is a time to honor God with our worship.

I don't know how people would want to miss out on that. But, the missables do!

1 comment:

Dawn Irons, Ph.D, LPC-S said...

If I must confess...I would fein an illness to get out of a family reunion...but my desire to be with my church family has prompted me to be there a day after being dismissed from the ER!

There is NO PLACE LIKE HOME...and "home" for me (and my immediate family)is more closely knit together with a triple braided cord in Christ rather than blood relatives.

But if you ever repeat that to my extended family I WILL DENY IT UNTIL I AM BLUE IN THE FACE!!!!

Dawn