Wednesday, July 12, 2006

My Tribute to Marj Massey

This week is the Liberty Fellowship Summer Family Conference at Lake Junaluska in beautiful North Carolina. Debi and I were to attend there with some of our staff (they are there now). We were to fly out on Sunday. I am writing this from Arlington as Debi and I were not able to attend because of the events surrounding a very important person in our lives.

I had the great honor of having one of the oldest living Cystic Fibrosis patient as a member of The Vine. Marj Massey was small in frame and seemingly frail, however she had an indomitable spirit. She was 65 years old when she died this past Saturday. I did her funeral yesterday. She outlived her husband, Winn, whom we buried in 1997, and her mother, Faye, whom we buried this past January.

Marj was an amazing woman! Wish I could tell you all about her but your time and this space does not permit me to do so. If you ever see me, ask me to tell you about Marj!

Pastors spend their lives trying to enrich the lives of others. Very rarely do others try to enrich the lives of their pastors. Marj Massey is one of the few who have enriched my life. She was more than a church member, she was my friend, a part of the Kerr family, a Godly woman, a prayer warrior, and one who loved, esteemed, and encouraged me. She will be missed by me in many personal ways.

Marj was a Rock, founded upon THE ROCK.

R- she ran her race to completion- she persevered in the midst of CF, diabetes, anemia, and other ailment's.

O- overcomer- she overcame by the blood of the Lamb and the word of her testimony. She was a conqueror over the ravages of these diseases.

C- committed- she was committed to the Lord, her church, extending the Kingdom, and a soul winner. She led countless people to the Lord.

K- kind- to Marj everyone was her favorite. When you were in her presence and alone with her, she made you feel as though you were the most important person in the world. She was generous with her food (she and I would have liver and onions together!), her time, and her resources.

Marj Massey was an extraordinary woman for this generation. I honor and love Marj!

No comments: