Monday, August 17, 2009

A Second Chance- New Covenant Blessing!


The New Covenant is based on second chances! (Listen Saints, we live under the New covenant not the Old- the old is obsolete- Heb 8.13!)

Heb 8. 8-10, 12 "The day is coming, says the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the people of Israel and Judah. This covenant will not be like the one I made with their ancestors when I took them by the hand and led them out of the land of Egypt. They did not remain faithful to my covenant, so I turned my back on them, says the Lord. But this is the new covenant I will make...I will forgive their sins…

In spite of the fact that His people were not faithful to the old covenant, He has promised to make a new covenant, a better covenant, one that His people can keep.

Our God is the God of the second chance. And the third chance and the fourth chance. And the four hundredth chance and five thousandth chance. Is it true? Do we really get that many chances? Yes, because we need them. In the Old Testament we see how God's people turned away from him again and again … and every time they turned back to him, He restored them. He's a God of mercy. He's a God of forgiveness. He's the God of another chance.

When you make the decision to follow Christ, you inevitably discover that you sin more than you want to. You can become so frustrated with your own limitations that it will lead you to despair. At this point you need to remember the basis of God's New Covenant: It's based on second chances.

If your image of God has Him staring you down with stern disapproval, arms folded, shaking His head and saying, "You again?" Then you're not approaching God on the basis of the New Covenant. The New Covenant says, "My people failed in the past, but I will not give up on them. I'll give them another chance."

This New Covenant is about living in the security of His love and acceptance. When you fall down, He wants you to try again. When you wander away, He wants you to come back.

God is not a hater, He is a healer and restorer. I am making a decision not to be a hater either! I am going to be a healer and give people a second chance (and more if they need it!)

No comments: