Saturday, January 28, 2006

Speck vs Log (Plank)


I wear one bifocal contact in my left eye (at my age you get to do this). It is a soft disposable contact that is supposed to last for 30 days. I get more mileage on mine wearing it day and night for a lot longer. I only take it out when I play tennis.

The way I know that it is time to take it out and put in a new one is when it begins to bother my eye and causes it to get sore and reddened. I did that the other night as Debi and I were driving. My contact had become a source of irritation.

I was reminded of Jesus teaching about judging others. He mentioned our desire to remove a speck in others eyes while missing the log (plank) in our own.

Matt 7:1-3
"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? NIV

I wish the plank in our own eyes would be as bothersome and painful as the irritation from my contact. If it were we would be more concerned about removing it than going around trying to get others to remove their speck.

Matt 7:4-5
How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye. NIV

I lost a close friend and church member recently because he concentrated on another's speck and failed to see his own plank. He was sincere but sadly mistaken!

If only that plank had caused him pain and discomfort, our friendship might have been saved.

If only......

1 comment:

Rob said...

Your blog is looking good. Great posts!

Keep writing,
Rob