Saturday, March 11, 2006

SMASHES = Fiery Darts

Played our regularly scheduled tennis match this morning. I enjoy getting out with men from the church and playing a game I love. It was great, warm with a little cloud covering.

Today was a marathon match. Carlos and I finally won the first set 13 - 11 (should have played a tie break!). We also won the second set 6 - 4. During the course of the sets one of my opponents hit me twice with an overhead smash as I was at the net. One landed in my private parts causing no little pain. My voice went up many octaves- I could have sung soprano! The other hit me directly in the chest.

Generally getting hit with the ball is unintentional and just part of doubles net play. My opponent just happens to not have that much control on his overhead smashes and I seemed to be the only recipient of them today. He didn't mean too and I tried to encourage him to hit away from me. Please!!!!

I thought later how the enemy of our soul constantly makes repeated smashes against us trying to discourage us and knock us of out of the game. The Bible calls them fiery darts. And they are intentional!

... above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. Eph 6:16 NKJV

We are to surround ourselves with our shield faith in God and His repeated faithfulness to us. This shield is a big one that covers the body from head to toe. With it we are able to deflect those fiery darts and not allow them to land the destructive and death blows as intended. Not only deflect but 'put them out' as quench implies.

We become more than conquers in this life! As we remain in Him we are not defeated but victorious. We overcome the 'smashes' in this life!

Thank your Lord for not leaving us defenseless in this life! Through You we prevail!

No comments: