Saturday, March 04, 2006

Dreams DO Come True

I am at the Liberty Fellowship SE Regional Conference in Birmingham, AL, this week. I am up very early preparing for teaching at 10:30 AM this morning. I was told of this remarkable story this week and needed to share it with you.

The picture above is of 17 year old Jason McElwain, an autistic high school basketball team manager becoming a basketball star!

In his team's final home game of the season, McElwain entered with four minutes to go. It was his first and only appearance for the Athena varsity team in Greece, NY, a Rochester suburb. The 5-foot-6 manager hit six 3-point shots and a 2-pointer and was carried off the court on his teammates' shoulders.

It was a dream come true for him! Here's what he said afterward:

"I'm not really that different," he said. "I don't really care about this autistic situation, really. It's just the way I am. The advice I'd give to autistic people is just keep working, just keep dreaming, you'll get your chance and you'll do it."

His advice is not just for autistic people, we all can benefit from it!

Lord, we all have dreams for the future and we, like Jason, are anticipating them coming true.

To read more about this and see a video (in right column), go to this CBS link.

1 comment:

Dawn Irons, Ph.D, LPC-S said...

Thank you for these words today. I needed to hear them more than you could have possibly known.

Blessings,
Dawn