Friday, March 17, 2006

WHY I LEFT YOUR CHURCH

A friend sent me this little pic and I remembered a story that Dr. Stuart Briscoe told. Here it is:

I was in the supermarket one day, and a lady came down the aisle whom I could barely see over the top of her groceries. I got somewhat frightened because she seemed to be heading straight for me. She screeched to a halt within a few feet of me, peered over her load and wagged her finger, and said, "I left your church. I left your church."

So I said, "Well, if it’s my church, I think it was a very wise decision. If it’s my church, I think I’m going to leave too."

She said, "Don’t you want to know why I left?"

I said, "No, not particularly, but I think I’m going to find out." And I was right.

She said, "You weren’t meeting my needs."

I answered, "I don’t ever recollect seeing you before, let alone talking to you, let alone knowing your needs. Did you ever tell anyone specifically what your needs were?"

She couldn’t recall that she had, so I raised another question. "Can you tell me, if we have 5000 people sitting in that church, all with your attitude, how anyone’s needs are going to be met? If you reserve the right to have that attitude, then you must give everybody the freedom to have that attitude. And if everybody has that attitude, who on earth is going to do all the need-meeting?"

Standing her ground, she demanded, "Then you tell me who will."

Relieved, I said, "I thought you’d never ask. This is what will work: when people stop sitting in the pew saying, ‘They’re not meeting my needs’ and start saying, ‘Whose needs can I meet?’ then needs will be met. When the servant spirit flourished in a congregation, then they minister to each other as unto the Lord (Hebrews 10:24-25)."


Boy, isn't that the truth. We now live in the age where consumer mentality runs rampant. We want it now and are willing to shop around until we get it. IT IS ALL ABOUT US! That mentality has carried into the church! People are willing to go from church to church seeking the gratification of their flesh and needs. I doubt that spirituality and loving God has much to do with it.

And even when you do ask you don't get it because your whole aim is wrong-- you want only what will give you pleasure. James 4:33 (TLB)

You're cheating on God. If all you want is your own way, flirting with the world every chance you get, you end up enemies of God and his way. James 4:34 (TMB)

Father, help us with those who have a 'black hole of needs!'

3 comments:

Dawn Irons, Ph.D, LPC-S said...

Maybe we could have a new members packet that includes a fork,spoon, and a serving towel with a note attached saying, "To become a member of The Vine you must know how to feed yourself and SERVE OTHERS."

You know the dangerous thing about black holes....things dissapear into them and are never heard from again!

Any staff members MIA? Be on the look out for black holes in the congregation!

Dawn

Steve Bowen said...

see mechurch or it's all about me on sermonspice.com...sums it up.
steve

Anonymous said...

Well written David... Quoted your post in tact on my blog... it was so good I felt my folks needed to read it... Good job!