Monday, April 24, 2006

What have we done?

This was sent to me about blunders the church has made. I pray we learn by our mistakes and recover to be a vital and relevant church for our culture and time!

It's never too late to learn from our blunders. Here are 7:

(1) We've made unbelief a doctrine. While third-world nations believe God for New Testament results, we teach our seminary students that God doesn't do miracles anymore.

(2) We've tolerated division. Who needs the devil when we're so adept at hating one another in the name of denominational loyalty?

(3) We've cultivated a religious spirit. We've taught that Christianity is about avoiding things like smoking and drinking. As a result we've lost our joy, because intimacy with God cannot be achieved through performance.

(4) We've encouraged "super stars." Consequently, some of our preachers have stopped modeling servanthood, and forgotten that Jesus washed feet and rode on a donkey.

(5) We've equated money with success. We've found a way to 'theologize' greed, instead of using our God-given prosperity to feed the poor and reach the world with the Gospel.

(6) We've stayed in the pews and become irrelevant. We freak out when somebody uses rap or rock music to reach the younger generation. Instead of engaging the culture we're hiding from it.

(7) We've taught people to be escape-artists. Instead of "occupying till He comes," we'd rather be astronauts and fly away. We read rapture novels when we should be praying for those living on the verge of martyrdom. Why can't we have their kind of faith? We can - if we're willing to pay the price and commit ourselves fully to God!

Build YOUR church, O Lord!

1 comment:

Dawn Irons, Ph.D, LPC-S said...

I will stand and believe with a 3rd world faith because American UNbelief has left me cold.

I believe in the authority of Christ to reign supreme, and that no stripe across his back was in vain. I will stand and believe for healing...because I do believe that God can use me...I will serve here where I am planted, with great JOY, but my heart is still to GO...not forever--just to Nicaragua.

What seems impossible now is only possible with God. I trade my eyes for his vision. I trade my unbelief for a faith that moves mountains.I trade my sickness for His fullness of joy.

I am wholly inadequate in and of myself, but with Christ I can do all things.

I would trade all that I own just to know I have been wholly available to God in whatever capacity He had need of me.

I want my life to count. I want to leave a legacy of faith and courage. I dont want to have regrets!