Thursday, May 18, 2006

Regardless of age Integrity is Important!

I heard the following true story yesterday while sitting with a family at the hospital during surgery for their husband and dad.

A little boy was outside raking leaves with his dad. He asked his dad if keeping promises is important. His dad assured him that it was.

He asked, "Dad, should I keep my promises?' His dad responded yes, wondering what at his age he had promised and to whom.

After hearing that, the little boy put his rake down and said, 'Dad, you are going to have to get someone else to help you. I promised Johnny that I would come out and play with him today so I need to go!'
Prov 13:12
Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life.(NIV)

2 life lessons here:

1. Don't make promises you don't plan to complete or know you can't honor, it will hurt and disappoint someone.

2. Keep your promises, it is an integrity issue.


James 5:12
But most of all, dear brothers, do not swear either by heaven or earth or anything else; just say a simple yes or no so that you will not sin and be condemned for it.(TLB)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Truly you are a man of integrity in every area of your life, and I should know, having been married to you for almost 35 incredible years. Your love and care of us as your family and for those the Lord has put in your care shows time and again that Jesus is in control of your life. I admire you more than anyone I have ever known.