Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Today is my Birthday!

Today I celebrate my 57th birthday!

To some that means I am too old to be cutting edge, relevant, emerging, for this generation. 'Go ahead- Just hang it up!'

But to me it means that I am growing in life experiences and character everyday with the gray hair (what's left of it) that according to the The Message Bible speaks the following:

Prov 16:31
Gray hair is a mark of distinction, the award for a God-loyal life.

Prov 20:29
Youth may be admired for vigor, but gray hair gives prestige to old age.


Note to young ministers- make sure you have someone with gray hair in your circle of friends and confidants!

To me God is not finished with me yet! I continue to be intensely in love with Jesus. I enjoy the delight of my life and the wife of my youth, Debi. I rejoice in two sons (plus a wonderful daughter-in-love) that love the Lord and are serving Him in ministry. I am enjoying pastoring more each day and love the great saints at The Vine. I am thankful for an outstanding staff-The Dream Team! I cherish all the meaningful friends that God has put in my life! Also, I have the greatest sister and her family one could have- we were dynamically rejoined through the death of our Dad.

So much more to do- God has granted another season!

With the years you learn many things- here's one:
If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?

Thank you Jesus!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are the reasons i have my wife put in all those gray highlights... Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, David...! I can remember us celebrating your 40th back in the conference room with a Milky Way cake Rita made when we were on staff together. Like yourself, many less grays (or 'whites') then! :)

David said...

Thank you Gentlemen. Bobby, what a memory- 17 yrs ago- remember the cake- moment on the lips forever on the hips! :)

Anonymous said...

David Your life has been well played like a good poker hand. You have a great strategy and you keep people guessing each week. No one else has ever captured my respect like you have. You are a man of Honor and Character. You are a great spiritual father and it sure pleases me to see my son and know that if it had not been for you you, I would not have desired having children. That is why I named him after you. I saw the relationship with you that I want to pass down to my son. So you see your influence is already instilled in Jonathan David King and will be well on into the future. YOU HAVE IMAPCTED THIS WORLD WITH YOUR LIFE. Thank you and happy B-day, stan