Saturday, May 06, 2006

Where do post-charismatics go?

The charismatic movement was a move of God that literally brought millions of people into salvation and a closer walk with God. I was introduced to God during this time. I followed His call on my life and have been in the ministry since 1978. But church now is not what it was then. We have entered to what many call the post-charismatic times.

J. Lee Grady, editor of Charisma Magazine, estimated that in 1990, there were as many as 92 million believers world-wide who identified themselves as post-charismatic. Some had moved into more conservative evangelical churches, and many dropped out of church altogether. Grady describes post-charismatics in this way:


"Burned out on hype and pulpit showmanship, weary of learning 95 ways to use spiritual gifts when they recognize more basic needs, these believers are in search of a deeper spirituality that emphasizes the fruit of the Spirit as much or more than the gifts."


Grady's words, written over a 16 years ago, ring true today for many charismatics. Unfortunately, many of them find it too difficult, or too emotionally exhausting, to sort through all the practices and teachings to discern the good from the bad. They simply withdraw and consider that chapter of their lives closed. One such person, recently leaving a charismatic fellowship, commented that he was planning to attend a more mainline, liturgical church -- not because he really wanted to join the church, but because he'd heard that "it's the church where wounded ex-charismatics tend to go".

What do we do and where do we go? I have seen people leave our church for more traditional settings. Then some break away, start a new church, and try to capture again what God did 30 years ago without regard for the culture shift, what God is doing now, nor the new things that He is doing. They still want the shout and manifestations of the Spirit.

My philosophy of ministry is changing and emerging everyday as I try to keep in step with God.

I don't want it said of me that 'he got stuck in a rut,' because a rut is the same as a grave- just not as deep!


2 comments:

Brad Irons said...

Great post, Pastor. I was a child, then a teenager, then a young adult going through that time. It wasn't all bad. There was much much that has helped my spiritual growth to this very day.

But I couldn't balance the good that was supposed to be happening with the excesses and abuses that I saw as part of the inner circle. I watched my brothers, sisters, friends, etc. hurt by the glitzy and glamorous as they hustled through out churches with scriptural interpretation born out of personal delusions instead of personal devotion. That is why I left the charismatic church when I got into college.

I have returned, possibly wiser, healing of old scars and understanding that God is God and HE is faithful. But I do thank Him everyday that He brought us to this church. Thank you for being a great pastor.

Steve Bowen said...

sometimes i think, 'what was that all about'...the 'that' can be many things from power encounters, to falling down, to laughing, to ... whatever...20/20 is great hindsight...i think i've had to ask some serious questions...concerning some of my past experiences...based on the thought does this movement / gift move me more inward or more outward...

it seems to me every great movement at its inception was outward then drifted inward...

having said that, some experiences have had a lasting healing affect ...a David i know during a leaders gathering, hugged me even to the point of breaking my heart emotionally at a time i needed a touch...it was prophetic and profound...i remember the words ‘you need this Steve’...at that time i did...and remember it as a defining moment in my life...a healing I needed inwardly that gave me confidence to move outward…

I think there is a blurring of the edges…churches that were cutting edge, are not alone anymore…in our city there are probably 5 who look, and feel somewhat like us on any given Sunday… however, on Weds, we have a different feel…we still pray for the sick, and pray for people using spiritual gifts…Sunday is the day to cast the net for those who have been touched by our high profile outreach

However, Weds and other special days are for gifts to flow…interestingly this past 2 years 3 couples came for prayer concerning their desire for children, all three had had problems conceiving so far 2 had twins and one more are having twins this year…interesting…maybe packaging has something to do with why and where people go…an interesting topic…