Monday, April 02, 2007

Jacquelyn- The Why of Missions

By Steve Same
It must have been eight years ago (to the day) that God had a very special purpose and plan.
I had my usual weekend of preaching in mind, with the expectation of "the unexpected." When I came up out from the underground tube train (with ladder in hand), my eyes fell upon a depressing sight. The City of Westminster had given permission for a carnival to set up on the very spot in Leicester Square that I regularly preached on my ladder. It was loud.. .louder than I could raise my voice over to be heard, and that habit of doing! My first thought was to turn around and go back down into the underground train and go home, but I felt the Lord's urging to "spy out the land." There were lines of people waiting to get on the "Chaos", a spinning, twirling roller coaster type ride. Other crowds gathered to watch the 'Bottle Toss' and 'Shooting Gallery' with hopes of a large stuffed animal being won. There I was in my cowboy gear and 'Jesus is Lord' trousers with the thought in my mind, "Why not? What do I have to lose?" I saw an area that suited me, set up my ladder and began to preach. At first most people thought I was part of the" carnival. ..that is until they listened long enough to what I was preaching! I related in my preaching message how life really is like a big carnival. "We are all just waiting in life to try out another ride, win a prize, or feel thrilled,... . . . but it's allover just as quickly as it began. . . ..and then we search for new "experiences," I explained. "The search is completely fulfilled when we meet our Creator through the forgiveness of sins, found only in His Son, Jesus Christ."

One young lady listened intently the entire time I shared God's love. When I finished sharing she walked up to me and said, " I have never heard about the things that you have been speaking about, can you please explain to me in more detail?" Her name was Jacquelyn and she had just arrived in London from her native country of Argentina. At her request, I shared in more detail about the love that God had for her. She then shared about her most awkward situation. She had planned on staying with a friend that had invited her to London, but found out when she arrived that the family had an emergency and needed to leave town. I called Tina and we had a peace about inviting her to stay with us. I accompanied Jacquelyn back to the hostel which she had already (in frightful desperation) booked her stay. The hostel owner had told Jacquelyn that she would have to share a room with him to compensate for the "little money" she had! Arriving in full cowboy gear, I talked to the owner face to face and demanded that he return her money and bags. He hesitated and then surrendered both. Jacquelyn stayed with our family for three nights. Her heart melted as we shared with her God's wonderful mercy and grace that He so lavishes upon our lives. Then she was gone... .out of our lives and back to Argentina... and all we could do was pray that God's Word was planted within her heart, and yearning to be watered. That was about eight years ago.

A few weeks ago: We had just arrived in the United States to itinerate and the cell phone ( which we had just had purchased) rang. "I don't know if you remember me but my name is Jacquelyn. I was in London eight years ago and heard you preaching in Leicester Square. You and your wife Tina were so kind to take me into your home in my desperate situation." In complete joy I responded, "Of course I remember you Jacquelyn!" After not hearing a word from her in eight years, there she was on the phone! As she continued to speak I could not hold back the steady flow of tears that flowed from my eyes. "On this very day eight years ago you and Tina took me into your home and explained to me how I could have a relationship with God, For the past eight years on this very day I have thought about you and Tina in thanksgiving toward God. This year I decided to make every effort to contact you to thank you. I thought that you would be encouraged to know that I have accepted Jesus as my Savior, I have a wonderful Christian husband and two beautiful children."

Steve and his wife, Tina, direct the London Outreach Center (a 'converted' former pub) which was founded by Dirk Wood of Arise and Shine Evangelistic Association. This article was copied from Steve and Tina's March 2007 newsletter. To learn more about Steve and Tina and to read this newsletter as well others, click here. To read about Dirk and Elizabeth Wood and read their newsletters, click here. These are must read newsletters!

2 comments:

Rita Loca said...

I will be back when I have more time to read their letters. It is so good to see God working through out the world.

Yekwana Man said...

I see that my wife has already been here. She has good taste. The day way forget that missions is about one person who needs to know about Christ is the day we have forgotten why Christ came. Enjoyed the post.