Monday, March 10, 2008

Memorials for the Future!

Joshua 4:6-7 “In the future, when your children ask you, 'What do these stones mean?' tell them that the flow of the Jordan was cut off before the ark of the covenant of the LORD. When it crossed the Jordan, the waters of the Jordan were cut off. These stones are to be a memorial to the people of Israel forever.”

I just finished a series on entering the Promised Land. I began the series stressing that, in order to make your move into the Promised Land, you need to "turn the page" -- you need to let go of the past and focus on the future. “Moses my servant is dead…you (Joshua) will lead this people to inherit the land...”

Forget the past! But when the children of Israel were crossing the Jordan, God wanted them to make a memorial that would be used to tell of His mighty works to generations to come. The past has the power to serve us now, and propel us into the future!

God wanted His people to have a visual representation of His mighty acts -- so all present and future generations would remember how God was with them in their journey into the Promised Land.

I told the congregation some of my memorials:
1. Bible College someone paying my school bill.
2. Church planted and lives changed in Scotland- I wear a Celtic cross from Isle of Iona with a heather gem on it.
3. Holding Ryan after 10yrs of waiting and 2 miscarriages.
4. Coming to The Vine Fellowship and staying (this is my 18th year)!
5. Healing of stenosis in my neck and lower back!
6. Wrist band that I wear says it all – “Wholehearted!” – “Very Best!” - for God
7. ‘Beachy’ Bracelet that I wear –reminds me of Debi and my 35th wedding anniversary in St. Thomas!

Memorials help remind us of the God’s past faithfulness, power, unfailing love, and that He is an ever present help in this life! They increase our faith, faith of others and gives the Devil a black eye!

Pastors, God doesn't want you to build monuments to your failures. He doesn't want you to relive your worst moments. Tear those down and replace them with the great things He has done in your life. It is from there that you can go forward in faith into the future!

What are some of your memorials?

No comments: