Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Absurdity #35- PC Police Try to Silence Resturant Owner-

A Philadelphia resturant has been cleared of a discrimination complaint triggered by the owner's sign telling patrons, "This is America. When ordering, please speak English."

The controversy began in October 2005 when owner JoeyVento put up a small bumper-sticker size sign.

On June 12, 2006, the Philadelphia Commission on Human Relations launched a discrimination case against Vento. It alleged the sign violated the city's Fair Practice Ordinance by discouraging the business of non-English speaking people, including, most importantly, Hispanic-speaking immigrants.

Vento said, "I'm an American of Italian descent, but I don't go around telling people I'm an Italian-American. I always say I'm American-Italian. If you are a true American, then put America first."

Vento said, "You have to assimilate here so the U.S. becomes your first country."

Vento said he always took the sign positively.

"To succeed in this country it helps to speak English. It's as simple as that."

"This is a great victory," said owner Joey Vento.

I'll say!!!

No comments: