Friday, June 20, 2008

My House will be His House! Pt 2-

Continuing with my Father's Day 2008 message on Joshua.

2. He was Priest in his home. He acknowledged his responsibility for the spiritual life of his family. He spoke for his family; he declared their intent.

-A priest cannot function unless he is in close contact with God.

-According to the Bible, the family was designed to be the basic educational unit (Deut. 6:6-9; 11:18; Eph.6:4). It is the father’s duty, then, to make sure his children know how to be saved and how to walk in the ways of the Lord.

-The greatest thing a father can pass on to his children is the love of God. We all know that love begets love. In chapter 3, verse 11, Joshua urges Israel to make love of God their special aim. If we would give love we must first receive it. And if we are to pass it on to our children and grandchildren, we must first absorb it and then demonstrate it.

There is this story of a little fellow, frightened by lightning and thunder, who called out one dark night, "Daddy, come. I’m scared." "Son," the father said, "God loves you and he’ll take care of you." "I know God loves me," the boy replied. "But right now I want somebody who has skin on." As I have lived my life in front of my family, I have endeavored to be this above all else - God’s love with skin on.

-As priest of the home, the Godly father is also a man of prayer. He goes to God often on behalf of his family, asking for wisdom and courage for himself, and protection for his wife and children. Job is an example: “Early in the morning he would sacrifice a burnt offering for each of them, thinking, ‘Perhaps my children have sinned and cursed God in their hearts.’ This was Job’s regular custom” (Job 1:5).

Part 3 will follow tomorrow.

No comments: