Monday, May 18, 2009

Bridge Building for Those to Follow-

The Bridge Builder
(Will Allen Dromgoole)

An old man traveling a lone highway,
Came at the evening cold and gray,
To a chasm vast, deep and wide,
Through which was flowing a sullen tide,
The old man crossed in the twilight dim,
The sullen stream held no fears for him;
But he turned when safe on the other side,
And built a bridge to span the tide.
"Old man," cried a fellow pilgrim near,
"You're wasting your time in building here.
Your journey will end with the closing day;
You never again will pass this way.
You have crossed the chasm deep and wide,
Why build you this bridge at eventide?"
The builder lifted his old grey head,
"Good friend, in the path I have come," he said,
"There followeth after me today
A youth whose feet must pass this way.
This stream, which has been as naught to me,
To that fair-haired youth may pitfall be,
He, too, must cross in the twilight dim,
Good friend, I am building this bridge for him."

Pastor friend, are you just living for the now or are you laying the foundation for the future travellers?

1 comment:

Ronni Hall said...

That's beautiful. Just yesterday my pastor reminded me that there are people watching and following me... and to live accordingly... we "know" that but sometimes we just need the reminder that this is SO not about us...