Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Christians Serving Time...

The church is made up of men and women who are called upon to volunteer to serve in various capacities. Have you ever heard of the 20/80 rule? Twenty percent of the people doing all the work with 8o percent of the people sitting idly by.

I recently talked to one of those 20% who felt burned out and under appreciated. He was taking some time off from his service activities- and enjoying it!

One of the things that a pastor hears often from church members when they are asked to serve somewhere: 'I have served my time!"

I want to ask them when did serving God and His Kingdom become a jail sentence! Was serving God really like being incarcerated? You did your 'Kingdom time' and now have been released and set free?

I don't think so as I try to overcome a spirit of slap that is fast rising up in me!

We never retire from working for the Kingdom of God.

John 9:4-5
We need to be energetically at work for the One who sent me here, working while the sun shines. When night falls, the workday is over. TMB

Eccl 9:10
Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the grave, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom. NIV


Seems to me that Jesus expects us to work for His Kingdom until we die! Death is the only excuse for not serving God and His church and Kingdom any longer. And then and only then would we (God included) not expect you to!

Serve on!!!!!

1 comment:

Ronni Hall said...

spirit of slap!!! hahahaha! I hear you!!!

The old addage of 10% of the people doing 80% of the work... *sigh*...

These are the same people who don't read the word and don't know that those who want to be esteemed highly are to be servants first...

That's the whole point! Our whole purpose here is to SERVE one another...

I always say, you are either here to SERVE or BE served... and that motivation shows up one way or another...

True beauty in the Kingdom comes when we can both serve and be served in humility. God help us do both.