Monday, February 20, 2006

Ice! French Fries! Blessing!


They had predicted it for days. North Texas was going to get an ice storm. Maybe as much as 1/4 inch. Not much for my Northern friends, but for Texas drivers, dangerous. Plus for Texas Pastors, it was going to be on a Sunday!

That would mean traffic accidents with crumbled fenders, delays, slow going on the drive to work, poor church attendance on Sunday, and offerings down. All of these are bad. But the attendance on Sunday was a concern to me.

It was our annual State of the Church address. I have been doing these for the 15 years that I have pastored at the Vine. It is a time when we talk about the previous year, the finances for that year and the budget for the current year, and our goals. I have endeavored to be open and transparent in all areas of ministry at the Vine. The question, would anyone be there.

People did show up, but not the usual number. We were down considerably in both services. But, they showed up and we pressed ahead. My finance leader, Keith, was prepared with the pie charts and spread sheets. He shared how we fared in 2005 and shared the proposed budget for 2006. He did a great job as always. I spoke briefly at the end all the while hiding my disappointment with the attendance.

I struggled through the first service and decided to change my approach in the second. Be more positive, cut back what I said, and trust God.

One of the two financial goals that Keith suggested for the year was to pay off the property debt by the end of the year. In fact, he had faith to believe we could do it by July 4th. The small crowd gave a hearty "Amen."

With my French Fries in hand I gave an illustration about a little boy hoarding the French Fires his dad had bought for him. The point was, God gives us so much, wants to enjoy it with us, and we hoard and keep Him from joining us in the joy of it.

As I finished, Keith handed me a note that someone had handed to him. It read, I will pay off the debt on the property today. I was stunned, humbled and overwhelmed. Tears filled my eyes. I wanted to shout but I lacked the voice to do so.

I had just experienced another God moment in my life. A time when the Almighty bursts upon the frailty of human existence and shows who is God and what He can do if one but trusts Him.

Thank you Jesus!!!!!!

1 comment:

Dawn Irons, Ph.D, LPC-S said...

It was sooooo worth sliding on the ice to be there for this very significant day in the life of our church. I would not have wanted to miss that service for anything in the world!

The numbers may have been down, but the true intimacy of family was there!

I asked Debi if your feet had touched the ground yet, or if you had re-entered earth's atmosphere!

I can't wait where God is going to take our church body next...

I am believing for true revival!