Friday, February 03, 2006

SuperPastor!?!



So many people wanting a part of me. They all know how I am to do my job and expect me to meet their specific needs. They forget that they are but one of many. Yet their needs come first.

Is this really what Paul meant when he said we become all things to all people?

1 Cor 9:19-22
19 Even though I am free of the demands and expectations of everyone, I have voluntarily become a servant to any and all in order to reach a wide range of people:
20 religious, nonreligious,
21 meticulous moralists, loose-living immoralists,
22 the defeated, the demoralized — whoever. I didn't take on their way of life. I kept my bearings in Christ — but I entered their world and tried to experience things from their point of view. I've become just about every sort of servant there is in my attempts to lead those I meet into a God-saved life.(from THE MESSAGE: The Bible in Contemporary Language © 2002 by Eugene H. Peterson. All rights reserved.)

I see my task as pastoring people to wholeness and purity in Christ.

The fact is that others do not see my task that way:
diapers to change
runny noses to wipe
cuts to bandage
meals to prepare
marriages to save
wayward children to bring back
straighten out spouses..............

Man, what am I doing sitting here writing, got to go, so much to do, up, up and away, this is a job for SuperPastor!

4 comments:

Rob said...

Super Pastor...my hero!

Anonymous said...

I can relate to how you feel. You have been superman as long as I have known you but I fell in love with the Clark Kent side of you. You above know the weight you carry is is hard but remember Romans 8:28-39 You are more than a conqueror. Oh by the way if you can find time my neighbors cat is up in the tree if you get a minute would you mind flying over to get it out for them? LOL love ya, stan

Dawn Irons, Ph.D, LPC-S said...

I'm tired and grumpy today...stayed up way to late blogging! LOL! I vote you just toss a box a kleenex at them and tell them they are old enough to wipe their own noses...they may looked stunned for the moment, but I would venture to guess that when their nose starts running again they may grab the kleenex FIRST and attempt to take care of things themselves before asking you as the first response.

By the way...what are you going to do about that worship leader of yours? I have seen him trying on capes lately and looking at tall buildings longingly! By watching your example he believes he can fly!

Super Pastor and Mighty MusicMan--every one needs a hero!

Just be careful...I'd rather see people with runny noses than having to drop a flower arrangement at a grave that has engraved on the marker "Super Pastor: He Had So Much To Do"

Besides, what would Robo Rob, SuperStan, and Mighty MusicMan do without you??

Love, Dawn

Steve Bowen said...

had a dream the other night...drove a station wagon past a single mom with small baggage and a kid, i turned around to help...suddenly her stuff grew and i struggled to get her baggage into my car...suddenly other people who saw me helping her began stuffing my car with their stuff...my car was suddenly loaded to the gills...i woke up...

i thought i need to be careful whose stuff and how much stuff i attempt to carry...interesting dream...david i can relate...