Monday, February 27, 2006

Pastoring = Jail Time?

The graphic at the left is the ad for an upcoming conference on Pastoring and The Law. No, not the Law of Moses but the law of the US. There seems to be a rising movement against the Church and what it preaches and teaches. You have those that are saying that we- the church, the Pastors- are intolerant, preach hate, and should be apolitical (having no interest or involvement in political affairs). They are saying that we need to be silenced and the only way of doing that is threatening us with arrest and jail time.

I enjoy the freedom that is afforded us here in this country. Believe me, after traveling the world, I am thankful for these freedoms. I want them maintained as much as the next guy, and I am ready to be active in their protection.

But, what if we should be thrown in jail? We will join the likes of Jesus, Peter, Paul, Dietrich Bonnhoffer, and countless others before us and at present that have been incarcerated for their faith in Jesus Christ.

I really don't have a martyr complex but I am well aware of what Jesus said:
I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you. John 15:19 NIV
If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. John 15:20 NIV

Lord, may I remain ever faithful to you!

No comments: