Wednesday, November 29, 2006

attitude - how I react to what happens to me

Once upon a time, there was an old and very wise man. Every day he would sit outside a gas station in his rocking chair and wait to greet motorists as they passed through his small town. On one particular day his grandson knelt down at the foot of his chair and slowly passed the time with him.

As they sat and watched the people come and go, a man who surely had to be a tourist (since they knew everyone in town) began looking around as if he were checking out the area for a place to live.

The stranger walked up to the old man and asked, "So what kind of town is this that I'm in?" The man replied, "Well, what kind of town are you from?"

The tourist said, "Well, in the town where I'm from everyone is very critical of each other. The neighbors all gossip about everyone, and it's a really negative place to live. I'm sure glad to be leaving. It is not a very cheerful place."

The old man in the chair looked at the stranger and said, "You know, that's just how this town is."

An hour or so later, a family that was also passing through stopped for gas. The mother jumped out with two small children and went into the restroom. The father also got out of the car and, he too, struck up a conversation with the old man. "So," he asked, "Is this town a pretty good place to live?"

The old man in the chair replied, "Tell me about the town you're from. How is it?"

The father looked at him and said, "Well, in the town we're from everyone is very close and always willing to lend their neighbor a helping hand. There's always a hello and thank you everywhere you go. I really hate to leave. It's almost like we are leaving family."

The older man gave him a warm smile. "You know, that's a lot like this town." Then the family returned to the car, waved goodbye and drove away.

After the car disappeared in the distance, the young boy looked up at his grandfather and asked, "Grandpa, how come when the first man came into our town you told him it was a terrible place to live, but when the family came into town you told them it was a wonderful place to live?"

The grandfather looked down at his grandson and said, "Because, sonny, no matter where you move, you take your attitude with you - and that's what makes it terrible or wonderful."

"The longer I live," writes Chuck Swindoll, "the more I realize the impact of attitude on [all of] life. Attitude", he says, "is more important than fact, it is more important that the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, that failures, than successes, than what other people think, say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company, a church or a home." And then he concludes, "I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it."

How's your attitude today? I will discuss this in the next few blogs--

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I seem to be unable to have a positive attitude in the middle of a conversation when a man is leading me to take the conversation in one direction or another and I just don't see the signs of him leading me in a different direction. My heart is open and I am willing to follow a man because I "HATE" leading when it comes to a man and woman. Women just should not lead a man or certain church situation in my belief. So many women have the desire to lead when it's in appropriate. But I just miss the boat when it comes to keeping my attitude postive in the midst of a tough converation. Then the outcome is negative and the boat capsises which drowns my spirit. It is possible to ever follow a man correctly and not make a mistake? My heart is getting to the place of giving up. Maybe I should move away from population and live in a little cabin on the North side of the mountain somehwere deep in the forest. I have let go of the reigns... really... willingly and trained how to let a man lead. But somehow, I miss the leading in the middle of a conversation. I don't like to argue. But you wouldn't know when I miss the leading. How do let go of "my rights?" I really don't have any. So.. why am I acting as if I do? I am seriously giving everything I have inside of me to go against Eve but I am messing up left and right it seems. Women are so emotional more so than most men. And I really don't think we "get" logic. Men have the crown on that one. If you ask a woman what logic ment I think she would give you an emotional answer. Well, thank you for allowing me to vent. All of your postings on attitude were positively used. The Lord uses your writing to reach and teach me. It would be nice to pick your brain about so many things. I will write a list (not to pick your brain about...ha ha) and see if I can determin what my triggers are or how I can "get" what I am missing. I enjoy a positive attitude and wish mine didn't have an emergency evacuation every once in a while.