Monday, November 06, 2006

Secret Chambers of our Minds!

Gal 6:1 Live creatively, friends. If someone falls into sin, forgivingly restore him, saving your critical comments for yourself. You might be needing forgiveness before the day's out. THE MESSAGE

I don’t want to pontificate in this blog. As the scripture says above I might be needing forgiveness before the day's out. However, my heart is broken and hurting for my friend Ted Haggard and his lovely wife Gayle. He spoke to Liberty Fellowship at our summer family conference a few years back. He is one of the Pastors that I admired most. I wept and now I am praying for them.

That is the source of my sorrow and yet a lesson.

Ted Haggard said in a letter read to the congregation on Sunday the following: (click Here is Gayle's letter)

I am a deceiver and a liar. There is a part of my life that is so repulsive and dark that I’ve been warring against it all of my adult life. For extended periods of time, I would enjoy victory and rejoice in freedom. Then, from time to time, the dirt that I thought was gone would resurface, and I would find myself thinking thoughts and experiencing desires that were contrary to everything I believe and teach.

The public person I was wasn’t a lie; it was just incomplete. When I stopped communicating about my problems, the darkness increased and finally dominated me. As a result, I did things that were contrary to everything I believe.

He was battling images and thoughts in his mind. They were his secret thoughts and images that no one but he and God could see. There is an example of leaders in the Bible fighting those similar thoughts and images in their own minds:

Ezek 8:10-12
10 So I went in. The walls were covered with pictures of all kinds of snakes, lizards, and hideous creatures, besides all the various idols worshiped by the people of Israel.
11 Seventy elders of Israel were standing there along with Ja-azaniah (son of Shaphan) worshiping the pictures. Each of them held a censer of burning incense, so there was a thick cloud of smoke above their heads.
12 Then the Lord said to me: "Son of dust, have you seen what the elders of Israel are doing in their minds? For they say, 'The Lord doesn't see us; he has gone away!'" TLB


We’re to control every thought and image that we have or else it will become the trap that will lead to our own personal fall. Sin is conceived in the mind and has a corresponding action.

Pastor friends, we have to get rid of the secret chambers of our minds. If not, they will be tragically revealed.

Special Note: I follow the 'Out of Ur' blog (see sidebar) and here is an article by Gordon MacDonald on Ted Haggard issues. Click Here

No comments: