Saturday, June 16, 2007

Baskin Robbins- Many Flavors- The Church Too!

There is a big controversy in my area with the Southwestern Baptist Theological School. A Pastor friend of mine here in Arlington, Dwight McKissic, pastor of Cornerstone Baptist Church, told the seminary chapel students that he prayed in private in tongues. What makes this so significant: he is a Baptist and on the Board of Trustees for the Seminary. Read about it here. It is affecting the entire Southern Baptist Convention. They are once again wrestling with distinctives that make them Baptist and different from all others in the Kingdom of God.

Many flavors abound in the Kingdom of God much like Baskin Robbins.

As A.W. Tozer so brilliantly noted in one of his sermons:

"We are told that when John Wesley was dying, he tried to sing, but his voice was nearly gone. He was almost ninety. He had traveled hundreds of thousands of miles on horseback, preaching three or four times daily in founding a great church. He was plainly Arminian in his theology, but as his Christian family and friends gathered around his bed, he was trying to sing the words of an old Calvinist hymn:

I will praise my Maker while I’ve breath, And when my soul is lost in death, Praise shall employ my nobler powers.

That is why I cannot get all heated up about contending for one theological side or another on that issue. If Isaac Watts, a Calvinist, could write such praise to God and John Wesley, an Arminian, could sing it with yearning and they both can meet and hug one another in glory, why should I allow anyone to force me to confess, “I don’t know which I am!” Why should anyone bother me with an issue like that?

I was created to worship and praise God. I was redeemed that I should worship Him and enjoy Him forever.

That is the primary issue, my brother or sister. That is why we earnestly invite men and women to become converted, taking Jesus Christ as their Savior and Lord."

Man, we really need to remember why we are here! Oh, that the world may know we are one in Him!

No comments: