Friday, December 05, 2008

So, What are you Preaching Today?

“What are you preaching?” I get asked that a lot because I am a preacher! But I am not the only one who ‘preaches.’

As a matter of fact, most people preach more than I do. Everyday, in your daily conversations you tell others more about our faith than I, as the preacher, ever will. You see, we all preach to the world with what we do, what we say, and what our attitudes are. Whether it is face to face, or somebody just watching us or listening to us, or reading our blog- we are preaching!

I told Vine Fellowship this past Sunday that I spend a lot of time preparing for each sermon. Countless hours go in to everyone! I told them that I expect them to spend as much time preparing their daily sermon before they go center stage to the world!

I have to admit that I get frustrated trying to grow a church and add new people and then have some careless unprepared ‘church member’ run off a guest because of course, crude, and unloving comments! Yes sir, they preached, but it was the wrong sermon! AAAAGGGGHHHH!

Acts 2:36-39 Therefore let all the house of Israel know for certain that God hath made Him both Lord and Christ—this Jesus whom you crucified. Now when they heard this, they were pierced to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, "Brethren, what shall we do?" And Peter said to them, "Repent, and let each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. For the promise is for you and your children, and for all who are far off, as many as the Lord our God shall call to Himself."

From the passage above, I challenged the Vine members to concentrate on 3 things in their sermons everyday:
1. Talk about Jesus
2. Talk about salvation
3. Talk about the promises of God (hope)

The world needs to hear about Jesus, salvation, and hope. They are not beating the churches door down to get in and hear it. Every day we are taking our ‘sermons’ to the world.

So, what are you preaching today? I hope yours is one that blesses rather than destroys!

No comments: